Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dying for Salmon Burgers

It's almost time for summer vacation. For some students that means going back home to their families, and for others that means livin' it up all on their own. During this summer vacation you can most definitely find me at home. I love going home for summer vacation. I love seeing my friends and family. And I just recently have had a new addition to my family. My mom just bought a Shih-Poo named Coda that I can not wait to meet. See, I have a lot to look forward to.

Most importantly I look forward to sitting on my deck enjoying the summer breeze and homemade meals. One of my favorite homemade meals is my mom's salmon burgers. I know most people think why a salmon burger instead of a real meat burger. The reason is I don't eat beef, pork, or chicken, only seafood (i'll have the occasional Chick-Fil-A Premium Chicken Sandwich with Pepperjack when I'm feeling realllyy hungary, but I don't tell anyone.) So while the rest of my family is chowing down on steak, I am thoroughly enjoying my salmon burger. Honestly what is not to love about a salmon burger, unless of course you don't like seafood, they are so salmony and juicy. Usually I top off my salmon burger with a side of homemade fries too. As in chop up a potatoes into strips and fry them. Yummy. While I dream about my moms salmon burgers here is a recipe so you can try one too, courtesy of Rachel Ray and the Food Network.

What You Will Need:

  • 1 (14-ounce) can Alaskan salmon, drained and flaked
  • 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
  • 2 lemons, zested and juiced, divided
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, 3 generous handfuls
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 anchovies, finely chopped, optional
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano
  • 2 hearts romaine lettuce, shredded
  • 1 head radicchio, shredded

How To Make:

To flaked salmon, add egg whites, parsley, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, 2/3 of the total amount of chopped garlic, the bread crumbs and lots of black pepper and a little salt. Mix together and form 4 large patties or 8 mini patties.


To a salad bowl add the remaining zest and lemon juice, remaining garlic, chopped anchovies, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire. Whisk in about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and cheese. Add lots of black pepper, no salt. Add shredded lettuces to the bowl and toss to coat evenly. Now, season the slaw with salt to taste, if necessary.


Preheat 2 tablespoons, of extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat. Cook salmon patties 2 to 3 minutes on each side for mini patties, 4 minutes on each side for large patties.


Serve salmon patties atop Caesar Slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment