Friday, May 13, 2011

Summa Smoothie

Summer time is right around the corner. In some places it has already come, i.e. Atlanta. All this hot weather is really starting to get to me. It is making me lethargic in the midst of piles of homework. It is making me not want to leave my bed. It really is doing more bad then good for me. Although the shade does actually feel pretty good. All I need is a nice cool drink and a porch. In comes the perfect summer time smoothie. We could all use one at some point. What is not to love about smoothies? They are healthy, filling, and tasty. I have had a lot of smoothies in my life time, whether they were from Smoothie King, or whether it was one I concocted in my kitchen, none compare to a good old fashioned fruit smoothie. Here is a smoothie that sounds very very delicious, on behalf of CIA Culinary Intelligence. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

Tropical Fruit Smoothies
Makes 2 servings
For a truly tropical treat, serve these fruit drinks in a tall hurricane glass and garnish each of them with a pineapple spear and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • 1/4 cup diced mango
  • 1/4 cup diced papaya
  • 1/4 cup peeled and diced kiwi
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, divided use
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt, optional
  • 1/3 cup ice
  • 1 Tbsp sugar, or as needed
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 pineapple slices for garnish
  • Toasted shredded unsweetened coconut for garnish, optional
  1. In a blender, combine pineapple, mango, papaya, kiwi, and 1/4 cup orange juice. Purée until smooth. With the machine running, add the remaining orange juice, coconut milk, yogurt (if using), ice, sugar, and vanilla extract. Blend the fruit mixture until smooth and thick.
  2. Serve the smoothies at once in chilled tall glasses garnished with a pineapple slice and a sprinkled of toasted coconut.
  3. To Toast Coconut: Swirl the grated coconut in a dry sauté pan over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately pour the toasted coconut into a cool bowl or plate to prevent scorching.
Nutritional information, per serving: 220 calories, 4g protein, 8g fat, 39g carbohydrates, 25mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 4g fiber.

http://www.ciaculinaryintelligence.com/2009/06/summertime-smoothies-popsicles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment